Crisp red lentils blend right in with the crunch of tortilla chips in a platter of nachos, boosting the protein and fibre of this game night favourite. There will be enough lentils to make two batches of nachos - they easily keep for a couple of weeks in a sealed jar and can also be used as a topping for salad or added to a bag of trail mix.
For 4 Serving(s)
1. Soak the lentils in a bowl with water to cover by about 2-3 inches for at least 6 hours, or overnight.
2. When you’re ready to cook, preheat the oven to 350ºF.
3. Rinse the lentils thoroughly with cold water and drain well, then spread on a rimmed, parchment-lined baking sheet.
4. Sprinkle with salt and bake for 30-35 minutes, stirring once or twice, until the lentils are slightly crisp but not hard.
5. Cool completely - they’ll crisp a little more once they’re cool - and transfer to an airtight jar with lid.
6. Spread a layer of tortilla chips on the same parchment-lined baking sheet.
7. Sprinkle with some cheese, then some crisp lentils, then a little more cheese, and a scattering of any other toppings you like. Layer on the rest of the ingredients in the same manner, ending with a final sprinkling of cheese.
8. Bake just until the cheese is melted through, about 5-10 minutes. Eat immediately with garnishes of your choice.
Suggested toppings: chopped tomato, fresh cilantro, green or red pepper, jalapeno peppers, olives, or finely diced onion
Salsa, guacamole and/or sour cream, for serving (optional)