Cook, Food Blogger and Writer
Born and raised in Wisconsin, Meggan is bringing her Midwestern food memories to her delicious take on modern family fare. There’s nothing she loves more than cooking for her family, cooking for friends, cooking for every occasion! Food is love where she comes from, and she's spreading the love every day on Culinary Hill.
On Culinary Hill, your most favorite foods, from home-cooked lasagna to pepper steak, beer cheese dip to Coca Cola chicken wings, taste better than you even remember. That’s because Meggan loves to make them deliciously modern without sacrificing an ounce of their authenticity. This is modern home cooking with a Midwestern heart, the kind of food that never gets old but is always fondly remembered.
More from Meggan Hill
Spicy Chickpea Salad Sandwich
Spicy Chickpea Salad
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/4 cup roasted red peppers, drained
- 1/4 cup loosely-packed fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp purchased or homemade pesto
- 4 flatbreads
- 4 Persian cucumbers, thinly sliced on the bias
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- To make the spicy roasted chickpeas, preheat oven to 400°F. Spread rinsed chickpeas on a clean kitchen towel and rub to dry. Toss chickpeas with olive oil, cayenne, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Spread in a single layer on rimmed baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes, stirring halfway through baking time. Cool 15 minutes.
- In a food processor, combine roasted chickpeas, mayonnaise, tomatoes, peppers, basil, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Process until smooth, scraping down the sides as necessary.
- Meanwhile, whisk together mayonnaise and pesto in a small bowl and set aside.
- To assemble the sandwiches, lay 4 flatbreads on a flat surface. Divide the Spicy Chickpea Salad among 2 flatbreads, spreading each with a thick layer. Spread the remaining 2 flatbreads with Pesto Mayonnaise.
- Arrange the cucumbers in a single layer on each Chickpea Salad flatbread, then sprinkle with lettuce. Top each with a Pesto Mayonnaise flatbread.
- Cut each of the two flatbread in half or into triangles and serve.
This recipe is courtesy of culinaryhill.com.