Nutrition & Health Coach, Recipe Developer, Food Writer & Photographer
Margarita Ribot is a qualified Nutrition & Health Coach and passionate about healthy eating and cooking Mediterranean recipes. On her blog Tasty Mediterraneo she shares healthy, simple and affordable vegetarian and vegan recipes from the Mediterranean cuisine.
For her, food is one of life’s greatest pleasures and she finds in cooking a way to relax and to put love and health on the table for her loved ones. She believes that using fresh organic ingredients and transforming them into a delicious and healthy meal is a real treat for our body and soul.
Her recipes have been featured in numerous publications, including The Huffington Post, and she is a contributor to the International Year of Pulses 2016 of the FAO of the United Nations and to the Expo Milano 2015 to name a few.
More from Margarita Ribot
Pinto Bean & Rice Soup
Gourmet Gurus, Salads, Soups & Stews
- 360 g (1⅔ cup) Dried pinto beans
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 Red bell pepper, cored and diced
- 1 Potato, peeled and diced
- 1 Garlic clove, peeled and thinly chopped
- 5 Ripe tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp salt (or salt to taste)
- 1 1/2 litre (3 pints or 4 ½ cups) water
- 150 g (3/4 cup) Rice (ideally brown rice)
- Soak the pinto beans in cold water for 10 hours (ideally leave them soaked overnight). Rinse them well and drain.
- Have the ingredients well washed and prepared as indicated in the ingredients description.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan. Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute until lightly golden. Add then the onion, the red pepper and a pinch of salt and sauté for 2 more minutes until only lightly golden. Add then the potato and sauté over medium heat for around 7 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low. Add the tomatoes, the drained pinto beans and stir. Cover with cold water and leave to cook, covered with a lid, at a medium-low heat for approximately 50 minutes or until the beans are almost done, stirring from time to time. Add a tablespoon salt (or salt to taste) and stir.
- Add the rice and cook until the rice is done, preferably al dente. Remove from the heat and serve hot.
This recipe is courtesy of Tasty Mediterraneo