The Flexitarian - Eco-Retailer, Blogger
Annabelle Randles is the co-founder of eco-retailer By Nature and the inspiration behind the The Flexitarian blog, where she writes about food, ethics and the environment.
Born and bred in France, she has taken much of her culinary inspiration from her mother and grandmother and was raised on a omnivorous diet, which include both plant and animal foods. Following ‘discovering’ vegetarianism whilst she lived abroad, Annabelle’s attitude towards what I ate evolved. She became interested in the issues including animal welfare, modern farming and the impact of meat on the environment. Today, she says she hardly ever eats meat and doesn’t miss it.
Through the Flexitarian blog, Annabelle promotes the flexitarian diet as a solution for people who do not want to give up meat entirely yet feel that for health, ethics and/or environmental reasons have to eat less of it.
More from Annabelle Randles
On the Pulse Blog
Aubergine Mango Salad with Spicy Roasted Chickpeas
Gourmet Gurus, Mains
- 2 medium aubergines (eggplants)
- 1 large ripe mango
- 400 g can chickpeas [14oz]
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- Olive oil
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 garlic clove (crushed)
- 2-3 tbsp fresh coriander leaves (finely chopped)
- 2-3 tbsp fresh mint leaves (finely chopped)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 220C/425F/Gas 7.
- Drain the chickpeas and pat them to dry before placing them in a roasting tin.
- Coat the chickpeas in 2 tbsp of olive oil, 1 tsp ground coriander, ½ tsp salt and ½ tsp of smoked paprika.
- Place in the oven for 15-25 minutes (depending on the size of the chickpeas). Toss every 10 minutes so they are evenly crisp.
- While the chickpeas are roasting, heat some olive oil in a large frying pan. Cut aubergines in 1.5cm dice and fry them evenly.
- Make the dressing in a separate bowl by mixing together 1 tbsp. olive oil, apple cider vinegar, sugar, lime juice and crushed garlic clove.
- Peel and dice the mango in a salad bowl. When ready, add the aubergines to the diced mango.
- Add the chopped fresh coriander and mint leaves followed by roasted chickpeas. Pour the salad dressing and toss everything together before seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.