Restaurant Owner and Head Chef
Ben Stevens is owner and head chef of two restaurants in Cornwall, the county rapidly becoming the UK’s foodie capitol. Bystro at the Bank in St Austell and Bystro at the Lamb and Flag in St Austell offer fresh food at affordable prices, using locally-sourced ingredients where possible.
More from Ben Stevens
Baked Cod with Chickpeas
- 180 g portion of cod per person
- 100 g diagonally sliced cooking chorizo
- 100 g washed chickpeas
- 50 ml red wine
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Vegetable oil
- Olive oil
- A wedge of lemon
- Heat the vegetable oil in a frying pan large enough for the cod. Pan-fry the seasoned cod skin-side down until it cooks through the skin and starts to cook the flesh.
- Remove pan from the heat and add a spoonful of butter. Baste the fish with the butter and then gently turn over so the skin is on top. Place the pan in a medium oven or the bottom shelf of a medium grill.
- Whilst this is cooking, it is time for the chickpeas. Heat a couple of spoons of olive oil over a medium flame. Add the sliced chorizo and fry it until the pieces are starting to brown. This should turn the oil a rich orange colour.
- Add the chickpeas and fry them a little. They will absorb some of the oil and pick up a lot of flavour.
- Add the red wine and simmer slightly for about 3 minutes. Add a good handful of parsley and reduce the mixture to create a thick sauce. By this time the fish should be just cooked.
- Place the chorizo and chickpea stew in a shallow bowl and place the fish on top. Lightly fry a chunk of lemon and place on top, add plenty of parsley.