MasterChef Judge, Chef, Travel Show Host, Food columnist and Food Stylist
Ranveer Brar is a MasterChef India judge, chef, travel show host, food columnist and food stylist. Born in Lucknow, he was inspired to become a chef by a youthful fascination with the city's famous street kebab vendors.
Ranveer began working in hotels in Dehli and by age of 25 became the youngest executive chef at Kafe Fontana. He then opened the Chocolate Box, a unique pastry shop with live chocolate making and customized chocolate designs. He later moved to Boston (USA) where he opened the restaurant Banq. It won numerous awards, including the best new restaurant in the world by Wallpaper magazine. His second Boston restaurant, Kashmir, went on to win the Best of Boston award in 2010. After successful years in the US, he returned to India as the executive chef of the Novotel Mumbai Juhu Beach.
More from Ranveer Brar
Lentil Pancake Burger
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 2 tsp Finely Chopped Garlic
- 2 tsp Finely Chopped Ginger
- 1 tbsp Finely Chopped Onion
- 1 tsp Finely Chopped Green Chilli
- 1 tsp Finely Chopped Celery
- Salt to taste
- 1 1/2 tbsp Finely Chopped Carrots
- 1 1/2 tbsp Finely Chopped French Beans
- 2 tbsp Boiled and Grated Potato
- 1/2 cup Boiled Mixed Lentils
- 1 tbsp Breadcrumb
- 2 tsp Chopped Coriander
- 2 tsp Oil to Pan Sear
- 3 - 4 sliced onions
- 1/2 Sliced Tomato
- 1/2 Cucumber Slices
- 2-3 Gherkins
- 1/2 cup Refined Flour
- 1 1/2 tbsp Gram Flour
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- Crushed Black Pepper to taste
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Tomato Ketchup as required
- In a pan add oil, finely chopped garlic, finely chopped ginger, finely chopped onion, finely chopped green chilli, finely chopped celery, salt, finely chopped carrots and finely chopped french beans and sauté.
- For the filling; in a bowl add the sautéed vegetables, boiled and grated potato, boiled mixed lentils, breadcrumbs and chopped coriander and mix.
- To make the pancake batter; in a bowl add refined flour, gram flour, turmeric powder, crushed black pepper, salt, milk and baking soda and whisk.
- In a hot pan add oil. Make a patty of the filling and pan sear it from both sides.
- In another pan add the batter and make a pancake. Once cooked, remove and cut with a ring mould. Make one more.
- Place one pancake on a plate. Add sliced onion, prepared patty, sliced tomato, sliced cucumber and gherkins and cover with the other pancake to make a burger.
- Serve the lentil pancake burger with tomato ketchup.
Recipe and photo credit: Living Foodz