For 8 Serving(s)
1. In a medium saucepan, bring the lentils to a boil with 3 cups (750 mL) of water. Add garlic, chili powder, and cumin. Reduce heat and simmer loosely cover. Cook until lentils are tender, about 35-40 minutes.
2. In a large skillet, heat canola oil over medium heat. Add peppers and onions. Saute until soft and starting to brown. Add pepper mixture to the lentils and stir to combine.
3. To make the quesadillas: Spread about ½ cup (125 mL) of the lentil mixture over half of each tortilla. Then sprinkle about ¼ cup (60 mL) cheese and 1 Tbsp (15 mL) cilantro over the lentil mixture. Fold empty half of tortilla over cheese and lentil mixture.
4. In a skillet, carefully place the quesadilla and cook about 3-4 minutes or until brown. Turn over carefully (the filling won’t quite hold everything together yet), and brown the other side, making sure the cheese is melted throughout.
5. Keep the quesadillas warm in an oven on low heat while you continue to cook the others. Cut into 3 wedges and serve immediately.