Split Green Pea Pesto Pasta
- 1/4 cup split peas, dried
- 1 cup water, filtered
- 12 ounces pasta, noodles of choice
- 1 cup basil, fresh; tightly packed
- 1 cup pine nuts, toasted; divided
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 cup olive oil, extra virgin
- 16 ounces tomatoes, cherry; halved
- 1 tsp salt, sea
- pepper, black; freshly ground
- Bring the split peas and filtered water to a boil in a small saucepan. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 40 minutes, or until completely tender.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta noodles and stir. Cover with a lid to bring back to a boil, and then remove. Stir occasionally and cook until pasta is tender, reference individual package directions.
- Add the basil, pine nuts, lemon juice and zest, nutritional yeast, cooked split peas, garlic, salt and pepper to a high-speed blender or food processor. Begin on low speed, and immediately start slowly streaming in the olive oil until the whole sauce comes together. Add more if necessary to reach desired consistency. Taste, and adjust as needed.
- Once the pasta is cooked, drain and add to a large serving bowl. Add the pesto, gently toss to coat, and fold in the halved tomatoes.
- Optional: garnish with extra lemon zest, pine nuts, basil, sea salt, and freshly cracked pepper.