Zaatar Spiced Crispy Chickpeas
- 3 cups chickpeas
- 1 1/2 tsps salt
- 1 tsps olive oil
- za’atar, to taste
- salt, additional, to taste
- Pour about 6 cups of water into a large, heavy pot.
- Dissolve the salt, add the chickpeas and cover. Let sit overnight. Skip these steps if using canned beans.
- The next day, drain the chickpeas and return them to the pot, adding fresh water to cover the beans.
- Set the pot over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Cook until tender and creamy, about 1 hour.
- When the beans are cooked, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Drain the beans and spread them on a sheet pan in a single layer.
- Cook until golden brown, about 40 minutes. Gently shake the pan occasionally for more even cooking.
- Drizzle the olive oil over the peas and shake or stir until they are fairly evenly coated.
- Season generously with za’atar and additional kosher salt to taste.
- Serve immediately, or store in an airtight container for up to 3 weeks.