Yellow Split Pea Cheesy Pasta
- 1 lb. pasta, rotini or pasta of choice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth, or vegetable; divided
- 1 cup split peas, yellow, uncooked
- 1/2 cup onion, roughly chopped
- 3 tbsps butter
- 1/2 cup yogurt, Greek
- 3/4 cup cheese, of your choice; shredded
- salt, to taste
- springs thyme, fresh
- Cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain, toss with olive oil to prevent sticking, and set aside.
- Rinse the yellow split peas. Bring 2 cups of broth and 1 cup of water to a boil in a large pot. Add the yellow split peas and cook for 50-60 minutes or until very tender. Drain excess liquid through a fine sieve. Set aside.
- Melt the butter in a small skillet over medium high heat; add the onions and sauté for 5-8 minutes or until the onions are very soft and fragrant. Transfer the butter and onions to a blender with the yellow split peas, 1/2 cup broth, and 1/2 cup yogurt. Puree until smooth.
- Transfer the sauce back to a pot on the stove over medium low heat. Add the cheese and stir until melted. Add the pasta and stir until combined; season with salt and pepper and serve with a sprig of fresh thyme.