White Beans with Pickled Red Onions and Toasted Walnuts
- 3 15 oz cans kidney beans, white; rinsed and drained
- 3 tbsps olive oil, extra virgin
- 2 tbsps red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp garlic, minced or crushed
- pepper, black, freshly ground; to taste
- 2 - 3 tbsps basil, fresh; minced
- 2 - 3 tbsps parsley, flat leaf; minced
- pickled Red Onions
- 1/2 cup walnuts, California; toasted and minced
Pickled Red Onions:
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 3 tbsps honey, or agave nectar or brown sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp peppercorns, bruised (hit with a bowl to bruise)
- 4 medium onion, red; very thinly sliced with an exquisitely sharp knife
- Combine the beans, oil, vinegar, salt, garlic, and black pepper to taste. Mix gently, cover, and chill.
- Stir in the fresh herbs within ten minutes of serving. Top each serving with Pickled Red Onions and walnuts.
Pickled Red Onions
- Put up a kettle of water to boil.
- Meanwhile, combine the vinegar, water, sweetener-of-choice, salt, and peppercorns in a bowl and stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Place the onion slices in a large bowl. When the water boils, pour all of it onto the onions and let them sit for 5 minutes, causing them to wilt slightly. Drain well and transfer the onions to the marinade.
- Cover and marinate – at room temperature or in the refrigerator - for at least several hours (but can be days or weeks as well). Store in a tightly closed container in the refrigerator. This keeps indefinitely!