White Bean Pasta Salad with Basil Vinaigrette
- 16 ounces pasta, dry cavatappi or elbow noodles
- 1 small onion, red
- 1 bundle asparagus, fresh
- 1 quart tomatoes, cherry
- 1 bundle chard, rainbow
- 1 14 oz can white beans
- 2 cups peas, fresh or frozen
- 1 cup olive oil, extra virgin
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup basil, finely shredded
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp mustard, Dijon
- 1 tsp salt, sea
- pepper, freshly cracked
- feta cheese, or goat; optional for garnish
- basil, shredded, optional for garnish
- lemon juice, fresh; or zest, optional for garnish
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over medium-high heat. Once boiling, add the pasta noodles, stir, and continue to boil until tender according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, slice the red onion and swiss chard. Halve the cherry tomatoes and chop the asparagus. Drain and rinse the white beans and set aside.
- Preheat a large skillet over medium heat with 2 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil. Once hot, add the red onion and a pinch of salt and cook for 3 minutes. Add the asparagus, tomatoes, chard, and frozen peas and cook until all veggies are tender, about 7 minutes.
- Prepare the dressing by placing the olive oil, vinegar, garlic, basil, mustard, salt, and pepper into a glass jar. Close the lid and shake vigorously until completely emulsified.
- When the pasta is tender, drain and rinse and add to a large serving bowl. Add the sautéed veggies and beans. Drizzle with dressing, and gently toss to coat.
- Garnish with optional toppings and black pepper.