Warm Fava Bean Kamut Salad with Pancetta Basil Dressing
- 1 cup kamut, soaked overnight
- 1 1/2 lb fava beans, fresh, in pods; or ¾ cup canned or dried versions
- 2 oz. pancetta, chopped
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil, extra virgin
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 7 large leaves basil, thinly sliced
- Add the pancetta to a cold medium skillet. Set over medium heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until he pancetta is browned and crispy. Drain on a paper towel.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, olive oil and salt. Stir in the basil.
- Bring 2 cups of water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add the kamut, reduce the heat to low and simmer until tender, but still firm, 30 to 40 minutes. If the kamut was not soaked overnight, increase the cooking time to 50 to 60 minutes. Drain the excess water.
- While the kamut is cooking, prepare the fava beans. Remove the beans from the pods, either by “unzipping” the pods or using a small knife to cut along the seam.
- Prepare a bowl of ice water.
- Bring a small pot of water to a boil. Add the beans and cook for 30 seconds to 1 minute, depending on the size of the beans. Drain and immediately plunge the beans in the bowl of ice water.
- Peel the outer husk off of the beans. You should have about ¾ cup fava beans.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the kamut and fava beans. Add the pancetta and stir in the dressing. Serve.