Vegan Three Bean Sloppy Joe Sliders
sliders (2 per person)
- 1 15 oz can kidney beans, reduced sodium; rinsed and drained
- 1 can pinto beans, reduced sodium; rinsed and drained
- 1 can white beans, reduced sodium; rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup onion, yellow; finely diced
- 1/2 cup ketchup, preferably without high fructose corn syrup
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp mustard, yellow
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp celery seed
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper, (optional)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tsp arrowroot powder, or cornstarch
- 20 buns, Whole wheat slider rolls (or gluten free if desired)
- In a small bowl whisk together all of the ingredients minus the beans, onion and arrowroot powder.
- Heat a medium sized saucepan or pot over medium heat. Spray the bottom with cooking oil then add in the diced onion. Sauté 2-3 minutes then add in the beans and the sauce. Stir together until combined and bring to a simmer.
- In the same bowl that the sauce was in whisk together the arrowroot powder or cornstarch with a teaspoon of water until it's smooth. Pour it into the bean mixture and stir together until combined.
- Cover the pan with a lid and simmer over low heat for another 5-7 minutes or until the sauce has thickened and the beans are heated through.
- Taste for seasoning then serve on whole wheat or gluten-free slider rolls topped with dill pickle chips, lettuce and tomato.
- The sloppy Joe mixture can be made 1-2 days in advance if needed and reheated on the stove or in the microwave. Just like with chili, they taste even better the next day.