Vegan Spicy Peanut Chickpea Bowls with Sesame Greens
- 1 cup chickpeas, cooked or canned
- 1/2 cup peanut butter, natural, creamy; substitute with another nut or seed butter if desired
- 1 lime, zest and juice
- 3 tsp soy sauce, or gluten-free tamari; divided
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes, (add more depending on level of spiciness desired)
- 1 tsp ginger, fresh; grated
- 6 tbsp water, divided (may need to add more as needed to thin to sauce consistency)
- 2 cups collard greens, (or substitute with another seasonal green)
- 1 tbsp sesame oil, toasted
To serve (optional):
- rice, brown, cooked; or grain of choice
- peanuts, chopped
- green onions, chopped
- basil, torn
- avocado, sliced
- Preheat oven to 400º F and prepare a baking sheet. If needed, dry chickpeas by rolling them between two paper towels. Spread chickpeas on a lined baking sheet and set aside.
- Combine peanut butter, lime, 2 teaspoons soy sauce/tamari, crushed red pepper, and ginger in a small mixing bowl. Whisk with a fork, gradually adding one tablespoon of water at a time until sauce is thick and creamy yet pourable. (Sauce tends to thicken over time, so you may need to add additional water if you prepare it in advance.) Pour about 2 tablespoons of the sauce on top of the chickpeas and roll/mix until each is well-coated with sauce. Place baking sheet on center rack of the oven and roast chickpeas until crispy, about 22-26 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare the collard greens. Combine chopped greens, sesame oil, and remaining 1 teaspoon of soy sauce in a small hot skillet and sauté until tender, about 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Assemble the bowls. Spoon cooked brown rice (or another grain if using; prepare in advance or reheat from frozen to save time) between two bowls. Remove chickpeas from the oven and divide them between each of the bowls. Add greens and top each bowl with peanuts, green onions, basil leaves, and avocado as desired. Drizzle remaining peanut sauce over top and enjoy!