Vegan Kale Caesar Salad with Garlic Roasted Chickpeas
Garlic Roasted Chickpeas:
- 1 1/2 cups chickpeas, cooked
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp salt, sea, fine
Kale Caesar Salad:
- 1/4 cup tahini, raw
- 4 tsp lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp mustard, Dijon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- pepper, black; freshly ground
- 1 large bunch kale
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF. To prepare the Garlic Roasted Chickpeas, toss the cooked chickpeas with olive oil, garlic, and salt in a large bowl, then pour them into a rimmed baking sheet. Arrange them into a single layer, then bake until crisp, about 45 minutes.
- While the chickpeas are baking, prepare the dressing. Stir together the tahini, lemon juice, water, garlic, mustard, salt, and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Stir until smooth and adjust any seasonings as you like.
- To assemble the salad, remove the tough stems from the kale leaves and use your hands or a sharp knife to rip the kale into small pieces. Toss the leaves with the dressing and let them marinate in the fridge while you wait for the chickpeas to be done.
- When the chickpeas are done roasting, remove the pan from the oven and let them cool for 10 minutes. Sprinkle them generously over the kale salad and serve. Leftovers can be stored separately in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. (The chickpeas do soften with time, but you can toast them in the oven again to re-crisp.)