Tuscan Sausage, Wild Mushroom, Kale and Lentil Skillet
- 2 tbsp olive oil, extra virgin; divided, plus more as needed
- 1 lb sausage, turkey, casings removed
- 1 medium onion, yellow
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 oz mushrooms, wild; stemmed, halved and sliced
- 1 tsp oregano, dried
- 1 tsp basil, dried
- 1 15 oz can tomatoes, fire roasted, diced; with juice
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock, reduced sodium
- 1 cup lentils, green, uncooked; rinsed and sorted through
- 1 15 oz can white beans, reduced sodium; rinsed and drained
- 4 cups kale, stemmed and chopped
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese, fresh grated
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the turkey sausage and saute until cooked through, about 5 minutes. Remove from pan with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add the remaining tablespoon olive oil, onion, and garlic to the pan and cook 3 minutes or until the onion is slightly softened. Add the mushrooms and continue to cook until browned and the liquid has evaporated, about 5 minutes more.
- Add herbs, tomatoes, and broth or water and scrape up browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Add the sausage back to the pan along with the lentils and stir. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium low. Cover and cook 35-40 minutes until the lentils are cooked and most of the liquid has been absorbed.
- Add the white beans and kale to the pan during the last 10 minutes of cooking time and stir.
- Remove from heat and top with freshly grated parmesan and enjoy!
*This recipe is freezer friendly.