Turmeric Stewed Red Lentils & Cauliflower with Garlic Shrimp
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp coconut oil, for the shrimp
- 1 cup onion, white; thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp ginger, fresh; minced
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into medium size florets
- 1 tsp turmeric, ground
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes, or more, optional
- 2 1/4 cups vegetable stock, or chicken
- 1 cup lentils, red split, dried
- 3/4 pound shrimp, baby; raw, cleaned (option to use chicken)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp lemon, juice and zest
- 1/4 cup green onions, chopped; or cilantro, or both (reserve some for garnish)
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds, black; toasted
- Heat 1 tbsp (15 mL) oil in a large pot on medium heat. Add white onion and ginger, and sauté until soft and lightly golden.
- Stir in the cauliflower florets and cook on medium heat until the cauliflower is lightly browned, approximately 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in turmeric and chili, and continue to cook for another minute.
- Deglaze the pan with stock and stir in the lentils. Simmer with the lid on until lentils are cooked and cauliflower is tender, approximately 7-9 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add more stock or water as desired.
- For the shrimp (while the lentils and cauliflower are simmering away): pat the shrimp dry with paper towel and season with salt and pepper. Heat the remaining coconut oil in a medium pan on medium heat and add the garlic and cook until tender. Add the shrimp and cook until opaque and cooked through. Remove from the pan and reserve.
- Once the lentils and cauliflower are tender, add the lemon juice and zest, green onions and cilantro. Season with salt and pepper as desired.
- Portion into bowls, divide the shrimp evenly and garnish with remaining green onions, cilantro and toasted seeds. Enjoy!