Three Bean Soup with Tomato Pesto
- olive oil, extra virgin
- 1 large potato, russet; peeled, washed and diced into small cubes
- 1 15 oz can tomatoes, diced
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 tbsp coriander, ground
- 1 tsp paprika, Spanish
- salt and pepper
- 5 cups vegetable broth, low-sodium
- 8 oz spinach, frozen, no need to thaw
- 2 cups kidney beans, red; cooked
- 2 cups white kidney (cannellini) beans
- 2 cups chickpeas
- basil, leaves for garnish, optional
- 1/3 cup pine nuts, toasted, for garnish (optional)
- 2 large cloves garlic
- 1 1/2 cup tomatoes, fresh; diced
- 15 leaves basil
- 1/2 cup olive oil, extra virgin
- salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- In a large Dutch oven or heavy pot, heat two tbsp of olive oil. Reduce heat to medium and add the diced potatoes and onions. Cook for about 4-5 minutes, tossing regularly.
- Add tomatoes, vinegar, spices, salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Cover and cook for another 4 minutes.
- Uncover, add vegetable broth and frozen spinach. Raise heat to medium-high and bring to a boil for 4 minutes or so. Add the kidney beans, cannellini beans, and chickpeas. Bring back to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and cook for another 15 to 20 minutes (potatoes should be tender at this point).
- While soup is cooking, make the tomato pesto. In the bowl of a food processor fitted with a blade, place garlic and tomatoes. Pulse a few times to combine. Add basil and puree. While processor is running, drizzle in the olive oil a little bit at a time. Transfer the thick tomato pesto to a bowl, and stir in grated Parmesan.
- When soup is ready, remove from heat. Stir in the tomato pesto.
- Transfer to serving bowl. Top each bowl with a few basil leaves and toasted pine nuts. Enjoy with your favorite crusty bread!