Three Bean Chili Hot Dish
- 1 lb tater tots, frozen
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, yellow; diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can black beans, rinced
- 1 15 oz can kidney beans, rinsed
- 1 15 oz can pinto beans, rinsed
- 1 28 oz can tomatoes, crushed
- 1 6 oz can tomato paste
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper, ground
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup green onions, diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- salt and pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 425 degrees. Place the tater tots on a baking sheet and cook until warm and crispy, about 20 minutes.
- While the tater tots cook, place the ground beef in a large cast iron or cast iron ceramic pot over medium-high heat.
- Break up the meat with a wooden spoon and cook until brown. Remove the meat from the pan and drain most of the fat, leaving about 1 tbsp.
- Return the pot to medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook until translucent, add the garlic and the beef to the pan. Cook for 1 minute before adding all three cans of beans, crushed tomatoes and tomato paste. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the spices and the vegetable broth. Stir to combine, then continue to cook on medium-high until mixture comes to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cover. Cook for 20 more minutes.
- Pour the chili into two 9 inch round pans or one 9 X 17 baking dish. Cover the top completely with the tater tots.
- Turn the broiler on high and cook for until tots turn golden brown. Remove from oven and serve with cheese, green onions and cilantro.