Texas Green Chili Jack Smash Burger
All Beef and Black Eye Pea "Smash" Burger with a Classic Texas Taste, Charred Chili Aioli and 30% less animal protein! Ease up on the jalapeño or chilies if you’d like to make it milder.
For the Burger Patties:
- 1 ib ground beef
- 4 tbsp red onion, (finely minced)
- 1 tsp garlic, (finely minced)
- 1 tsp chili powder, chipotle
- 2 tsp chili powder, ancho
- 8 oz black eyed peas, cooked (well drained)
- 2 tsp salt
- 4 oz cheese, jack (sliced)
For the Caramalized Onions:
- 2-3 jalapeno pepper, or ¼ cup canned green chilies (or less to make it milder)
- ⅔ cup mayonnaise
- 1 garlic clove, (crushed to a paste with a pinch of salt)
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 2 green onions, (green part only, finely sliced)
- ¼ cup cilantro, leaves (shredded)
- 4 buns, pretzel or plain
- 1 avocado
- ½ head lettuce
For the Burger Patties:
- Prepare the caramelized onions in step 2. Set aside. Gently mix the ground beef, onion, garlic, and chili powders.
- Add the black eye peas and salt and mix. Form into 4 equal loosely packed balls (not patties) and refrigerate for 30 minutes or more.
- To Cook the Smash Burgers: Heat a cast-iron skillet or non-stick griddle pan over medium-high heat. Place the beef balls on the hot skillet, flattening them evenly with a heavy, metal spatula. Season with salt and pepper, and top with1/2 the caramelized onions pressing them with a spatula into the burger patty. To brown the meat, cook for approximately 3 minutes. Flip the patties, season, add remaining onions and press and crisp the opposite side; cook 2-3 minutes more. Top with the Jack Cheese and keep in a warm oven (150°F) until ready to assemble.
For the Caramelized Onions:
- In a large saute pan, place the onions, water, butter, salt and place over high heat, tossing regularly until the onions are nicely caramelized and all the liquid has evaporated.
For the Charred Green Chili Mayo:
- Place the green chilies in a dry, hot, cast iron skillet, pressing down and turning them now and then, until they are blackened on all sides and quite soft. Remove from the pan and scrape off most of the char with a knife. Split open and remove the seeds. Chop roughly. Don't worry if there are some remaining black bits.
- Mix the chilies with the mayo and add all remaining ingredients.
- Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Lightly toast the Pretzel buns.
- Slather each bun with the green chili aioli, the patty, avocado slices and lettuce.