Superfood Salad with Easy Roasted Chickpeas
- 1 1/2 cups chickpeas, cooked
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt, kosher
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp tangerine juice, or orange juice
- 1 tsp tangerine zest, (or orange zest)
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp mustard, Dijon
- salt, kosher
- pepper, black; freshly ground
- 2 bunches kale, lacinato (also known as Tuscan or dino kale); stems discarded and leaves chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 3 beets, chioggia; roasted, peeled and cut into wedges
- 1/3 cup quinoa, cooked, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup pistachios, toasted, chopped
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- sprouts, or microgreens, for sprinkling
- Start by making the roasted chickpeas. Preheat an oven to 400°F. Place chickpeas on a rimmed baking sheet, and toss with olive oil and a couple pinches of salt. Roast, tossing occasionally, until crispy and golden on the outside and creamy within (about 20 minutes). Season to taste with additional salt, and let cool a bit before using on the salad.
- Meanwhile, add olive oil, vinegar, citrus juice and zest, honey and Dijon mustard to a small jar with a couple pinches of salt and a few grinds of black pepper. Secure the lid, and shake until combined. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper.
- Place kale in a large bowl, and drizzle over 3 tablespoons citrus vinaigrette. Using your hands, work the vinaigrette throughout the greens, tossing and massaging as needed. The leaves should be glistening with vinaigrette. Let the salad sit at room temperature for 15 - 20 minutes until the kale leaves are tender.
- Top the kale with beets, quinoa, pistachios, pomegranate arils and roasted chickpeas. Drizzle the toppings with vinaigrette, then finish with a sprinkling microgreens, salt and pepper. Any extra salad will keep in the fridge for up to 3 days. Extra vinaigrette will keep in the fridge for up to 7 days.