Summertime Lentils and Fettuccini
- 3 cups chicken broth, or 3 tsp instant chicken bouillon dissolved in 3 cups hot water
- 1 cup lentils, dried; rinsed
- 1 pound pasta, fettuccini
- 1 11 oz package basil, fresh
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 clove garlic, minced
- 1 bell pepper, red; seeded and diced
- 1⁄4 cup olives, green; pitted and sliced
- 3 tbsps white wine, dry
- 3 tbsps butter
- 2 chicken breasts, sliced
- 1⁄2 tsp salt
- pepper, to taste
- In a medium saucepan bring broth to a boil. Add lentils and simmer until lentils are tender but not falling apart, about 20 minutes. Drain, reserving the liquid.
- Cook the fettuccini according to package directions. Drain and keep warm.
- Purée basil in a blender or food processor and set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook garlic in oil until golden brown. Add bell pepper and olives and cook until peppers are soft. Add wine and simmer 30 seconds.
- Stir in butter, chicken, basil purée, lentils, reserved liquid, salt, and pepper. Bring to a simmer, cover, and cook until the chicken has lost all traces of pink.
- To serve, transfer the fettuccini to a warm serving bowl and top it with the lentil-chicken mixture.