Summer Split Pea Salad
- 2/3 cup split peas, green, dried
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups tomatoes, whole, diced or cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup corn, kernels, frozen
- 2 tbsp parsley, fresh; minced
- 2 tbsp basil, fresh minced
- 2 tbsp oregano, fresh, minced
- 2 tbsp chives, fresh; minced
- 1 lemon, juice and zest
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp mustard, Dijon
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Combine the split peas and broth in a medium saucepan over high heat. Bring to a boil, stir, then reduce heat, cover, and simmer until the split peas are tender, but not mushy and most of the liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes
- Combine the cooked split peas in a large bowl with the tomatoes, corn, parsley, basil, oregano, and chives. Toss well to combine.
- In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the lemon juice and zest, olive oil, dijon, garlic powder, syrup, salt and pepper. Close and shake well to combine.
- Pour dressing over the salad and toss to coat. Serve immediately.
*Can serve 2 people as a main dish