Spring Lentil Asparagus Tacos
- 1 cup lentils, French, rinsed
- 1 medium onion
- 1 carrot, sliced in half
- 1 stalk celery, sliced in half
- 1 ancho chile, dried; or similar
- 2 bay leaf
- few sprigs thyme
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 lb asparagus, 1 bunch
- 1 tsp salt, sea
- 1/4 tsp chili powder, chipotle
- 1/4 tsp paprika, smoked
- 1/2 small jalapeno pepper, finely minced (can add more depending on how much spice you like)
- 1/3 cup cilantro, minced; plus more for serving
- 2 lime, 1 juiced, 1 sliced into wedges for serving
- tortillas, corn
- feta cheese, crumbled, for serving
- radishes sprouts, for serving
- hot sauce, for serving
- In a large pot, add the lentils, 1/2 of the onion, the carrot, celery, the ancho chile, and the bay leaves and thyme. Add water to cover the lentils by about two inches. Cover the pot, and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to low, and simmer until the lentil are cooked through, 30-45 minutes.
- While the lentils cook, mince the remaining half of the onion, and set aside. When the lentils are nearly cooked through, heat a large skillet over medium low heat. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Saute the asparagus until tender but still green, about 3-4 minutes.
- When the lentils are cooked through, strain out the remaining liquid. (Reserve and freeze for soup stock!) Remove the onion, carrot, celery, bay leaf, and thyme.
- Into the pot of lentils, stir in the minced onion, sea salt, chipotle powder, paprika, minced jalapeño, and lime juice, and stir to combine. Add the cilantro and stir again. Set aside.
- To serve, warm the corn tortillas in either a skillet or directly over a low gas flame. Spoon lentils into the tacos, followed by asparagus, and top with crumbled feta and radish sprouts.
- Serve extra limes, cilantro, and hot sauce at the table. Enjoy!