Warm up this winter with this hearty pulse-filled chili, perfect for the cold weather days ahead.
Split Pea White Bean Chili
- 3 tbsps ghee, or olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 poblano peppers, de-seeded and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 14.5 oz can cannellini beans, organic; drained
- 1 tsp coriander, ground
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp cumin, ground
- pepper, freshly ground
- 1 cup split peas, green, dried
- 4 cups vegetable broth, or chicken broth or bone broth
- salt, sea
Cilantro Yogurt (optional):
- 1 cup yogurt, Greek, plain (cashew or almond milk yogurt if you prefer)
- 2 green onions, white parts; minced (green parts reserved as a garnish for the soup)
- 1/4 tsp salt, sea
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp lime juice, (or lemon)
- handful cilantro, coarsely chopped
Additional, optional toppings:
- avocado, sliced
- green onions, the reserved greens
- In a large, heavy-bottomed pot, heat the ghee or oil over medium heat and add the onions, and poblanos. Cook for about 5-7 minutes, until the onions are translucent and the poblanos are soft. Add the garlic and cook for another two minutes. Add the cannellini beans, coriander, cumin, and cook while stirring for about 1 minute. Then add the spilt peas, vegetable broth. Give it a good stir, bring it to a boil, then reduce to a low simmer. Cook partially covered for about 30-40 minutes. The chili should start to reduce and thicken, and the spilt peas will become tender. Taste and add salt if needed (this will depend on how salty your broth is, and it might not be necessary).
- While the chili is cooking, make the cilantro yogurt by stirring together all the ingredients for the yogurt in a small bowl.
- Divide the chili amongst bowls and add a spoonful of the cilantro yogurt and any other toppings you like.