Split Pea & Sorghum Salad with Swiss Chard and Spiced Tahini Dressing
- 1 1/2 cups split peas, yellow, or green; cooked (see below)
- 1 cup sorghum, cooked (see below); option to substitute with quinoa, millet or rice
- 2 cups chard, Swiss; chopped and lightly massaged with pinch of salt
- 1 bell pepper, red; diced
- 1 cup tomatoes, cherry; halved
- 1/3 cup raisins, golden (or dried cranberries)
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp dill, fresh; chopped
- 1/3 cup lemon juice, fresh
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 1 tsp cumin, ground
- 3 tbsp olive oil, light tasting
- Toss the salad ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Whisk all vinaigrette ingredients in a bowl until fully combined. Add 1 tbsp of water to thin out the dressing, if needed. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Toss the prepared vinaigrette with the salad. Season with salt and ground black pepper to taste, plate and enjoy!
- To cook the yellow split peas in advance (for approx. 1 ½ cups prepared) : rinse approximately ½ cup of dry yellow peas with water and drain. Add to a small stock pot with 3 cups of water. Gently simmer until very tender, but not falling apart, approximately 30-40 minutes. Add more water as necessary. Drain off excess liquid and rinse under cool water if you plan to use immediately. Pat excess water off with a paper towel.
- To cook the sorghum in advance (for approx. 1 cup prepared): add 1/3 cup sorghum to approx. 2 cups of water in a medium pot. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and let cook for approximately 40-50 minutes or until the sorghum is tender, adding more water as necessary. Drain any remaining liquid and serve.