Split Pea Guacamole
- 1 cup split peas, dried
- 3 cups water
- lime, juice of one
- 2 avocado, ripe; cut in half, pit removed
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp jalapeno pepper, diced
- 3 tbsp onion, red; diced
- 3/4 cup cilantro, freshly chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Tortilla chips, for serving
- Rinse the split peas and place in a small pot. Add water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat. Cover and simmer for 35 minutes. Drain excess water if necessary. Transfer the split pea mixture to a food processor or blender. Add the lime juice and puree until creamy. Transfer the pea mixture to a bowl and let cool.
- Scoop out the avocado flesh and place in a large bowl. Smash the avocados with a fork and stir in the split peas mixture, garlic, jalapeno, onion, and cilantro. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Serve with tortilla chips.