Split Pea Green Pozole
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups mushrooms, quartered
- 2 cups green peas, dried; cooked (follow package instructions)
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, mashed and minced
- 1/2 cup poblano pepper, chopped
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped and divided in half
- 1/2 cup parsnip, chopped
- 2 cups potatoes, baby; halved
- 3/4 cup salsa, Herdez Salsa Verde
- 2 tsp salt, kosher
- 1 can hominy, rinsed and drained
- 6 cups water, warm
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup radishes, sliced
- 1 avocado, cubed
- rice, white, cooked
- sour cream, or crema fresca
- cotija cheese
- In a pressure cooker or Dutch oven, sauté the mushrooms in 1 tbsp of olive oil, for about 2 minutes.
- Add onion, garlic, poblanos, half of the cilantro, parsnips, potatoes, hominy and stir to blend. Season with salt.
- Add salsa and cooked whole dried peas; stir. Allow to cook for about two minutes.
- Add water. Taste water and if needed add more salt.
- If using the pressure cooker, time for 15 minutes in High Pressure. If using a Dutch oven, cover and cook for 45 minutes at a medium-low temperature.
- When the soup is done, take a masher and mash the potatoes. Add a remaining of chopped cilantro. Serve in bowls and allow guests to top with garnishes.