Split Pea Curry
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced; about 1 cup
- 1/4 cup curry paste, red
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2/3 cup split peas
- 1 14 oz can tomatoes, diced; fire roasted for best flavor
- 1 14 oz can coconut milk, light
- salt and pepper, to taste
- rice, cooked, for serving
- naan, warm, for serving
- In a large skillet with high sides, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add in the onions and cook until just translucent and fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- Add in the curry paste and stir. Continuing stirring for 1-2 minutes, or until the curry paste becomes fragrant (this helps to reactivate the spices in the curry paste).
- Add in the vegetable broth and split peas. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until the split peas have become tender (but not mushy).
- Add in the diced tomatoes and coconut milk. Continue to simmer for an additional 20 minutes, or until the mixture is very thick and the split peas are very tender.
- Taste and adjust seasoning—some curry pastes are very salt-heavy, so you might not need to add any seasoning at all.
- Serve over hot rice and with a side of warm naan bread.