Split Pea Bruschetta
- 35 bites
- 2 cups split peas, yellow, dried; or green
- 4 cups water
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced fine
- 1 tbsp shallot, minced
- 2 tsps tarragon, fresh; minced
- 2 tsps lemon zest
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 sweet potatoes
- grapeseed oil, or vegetable oil
- salt, kosher
- pepper, fresh ground
- In a medium sauce pan on medium heat, sauté half the shallots in oil with 2 teaspoons kosher salt until just starting to turn translucent, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and sauté 3 minutes more
- Add water and split peas and bring to a boil. Cook for 30 minutes until very tender but not mush.
- Remove half the mixture and cool while then remaining split peas cook until falling apart and no liquid remains.
- Mix the cooled and overcooked mixture together and add remaining minced shallots, tarragon, lemon zest and juice. Season with Salt and pepper and chill the mixture while you prepare the sweet potatoes. This part can be made up to 3 days ahead of time.
Sweet Potato Chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Slice very thin, about 1/16th of an inch
- Spread sliced sweet potato in a single layer on an oiled sheet pan and brush with oil
- Season sweet potato slices with kosher salt and ground cumin.
- Bake for about 15 minutes until edges are crispy and golden brown. Keep your eye on these, they like to turn from golden brown to overcooked quickly.
- SERVING SUGGESTIONS: Top each slice with a bit size dollop of the pea mixture, garnish with a dash of sour cream or goat cheese and fresh chives and lemon zest or fresh ground black pepper