Split Pea Breakfast Pattie
These are vegan but you can add minced bacon to the base and add that smoky flavor. The key to this recipe is to make the base the day before so it has time to chill. Once cooled the mixture forms into patties easily and can be made and held in the fridge for 3 days or frozen for convenient meals.
- 1 cup split peas, yellow, or green
- 3 cups water, or stock
- 1 cup onion, yellow; minced
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 tsp coriander, ground
- pinch turmeric
- 1 tsp thyme, fresh; minced
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, minced
- 1/4 cup carrot, grated
- 2 green onions, slivered
- 2 tsp salt, kosher
- 1/4 tsp pepper, black; freshly ground
- grapeseed oil, vegetable oil or butter for cooking
- 1/2 cup chickpea flour
- In a medium sauce pan on Medium high add vegetable oil, onions and 1 tsp of the salt and sauté onions for 3 minutes until just caramelizing. Turn down to medium low and add garlic, minced mushrooms and fresh thyme
- Add water or stock, split peas, salt and pepper.
- Simmer for 20 minutes then add grated carrot and cook until peas and carrots are tender.
- Puree 2/3 of the mixture then add back the remaining split peas and slivered scallions. Adjust seasoning
- Cool mixture for one hour or ideally overnight.
- Form into four patties and roll in garbanzo bean flour then pan fry in vegetable oil
Serving suggestions: Breakfast as a base to a poached or fried egg on a bed of sautéed garlic greens topped with sautéed mushrooms and a poached or fried egg