Southwestern Breakfast Black Bean Bowls
- 1 Ib. black beans
- ½ cup sweet onion, cubed
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2¼ tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. paprika, smoked
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. lime juice, fresh
- 1 tbsp. cilantro, fresh, chopped
- 6 eggs, large
- 1 tbsp. olive oil, extra virgin
- 2 sweet potatoes, medium, peeled and cut into ½-inch cubes
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
- Steak slices , optional
- 1⅓ cup pico de gallo
- 1 avocado, pitted and slced
- Naan, Toasted, or Warm Flour Tortillas, for serving
- Follow the dry black beans package directions for quick or overnight soaking.
- Add the drained black beans to a slow cooker.
- Add the cubed onion, chicken stock, salt, garlic powder, paprika and cayenne pepper to the black beans. Stir. Cover and cook on low overnight for 8 to 10 hours.
- After the beans have cooked, use a potato masher to mash half of the beans.
- Stir in the lime juice and cilantro. Season to taste with salt.
- Increase the heat of the slow cooker to high.
- Crack each egg into a bowl and then gently lower into the black beans, spacing out the eggs in the slow cooker. Cover and cook for about 25 minutes or until the white is cooked but the yolk is runny.
- Heat a medium cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Add the olive oil and cubed sweet potatoes. Season with the salt. Cover and cook for about 20 minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender. Toss the potatoes occasionally.
- To serve, spoon the black beans and eggs into 4 or more bowls. Divide the skillet sweet potatoes among the bowls. Optionally add meat such as steak slices, pulled pork, sausage or crispy bacon.
- Divide the pico de gallo and avocado slices among the bowls.
- Serve with toasted naan or warm flour tortillas.