Smoky Red Lentil Rainbow Nori Roll
Smoky Red Lentil Pate
- 1 cup lentils, red, dried
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp paprika, smoked
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 4 sheets nori, dry
- 2 cups sprouts, (alfalfa, broccoli)
- 3 cups mixed greens
- 1 tomatoes, diced
- 2 avocados, sliced
- 1 cup green onions, sliced
- 1/2 cup parsley, fine chopped
- 1 cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 mango, fresh; or around 1 cup frozen (optional)
- sauerkraut, (optional)
Mock Eel Sauce
- 2 tbsp tamari
- 1 tbsp agave nectar
- Prepare the smoky red lentils. Bring 2 cups of veg broth and 2 cups of water to a boil (takes about 3 to 5 minutes), lower the heat, add lentils and gently stir. Continue to cook lentils in a gentle simmer on low/medium heat with a lid slightly tilted. Add spices and stir to combine. Continue to cook until most of the water has evaporated and the lentils are thick (should not be runny). Set aside.
- Prepare the fillings. Chop and slice all veggies as needed. Set aside.
- Prepare the mock eel sauce by adding tamari sauce and agave in a small bowl and mixing to combine.
- Once lentils are ready and have cooled down a bit, let’s stuff the roll! Place a nori sheet on top of a sushi mat (you can also use a piece of parchment paper if you don’t have a rolling mat).. and begin layering your roll preferably in the following order: mixed greens (use about one cup), sprouts, 1/2 cup of red lentils (per roll) and then you can begin adding the rest of the veggies: tomatoes, avocados, green onions, cucumbers, fresh parsley, and optional mangoes and sauerkraut. Note: Make sure to stack everything on top of each other and not spread across the nori sheet or else it’s going to be very difficult to roll.
- Let’s get ready to roll! Using the mat for support, lift the nori sheet edge closest to you up and over the filling. Use the mat to compress and mold the roll even further. Continue rolling until you’ve rolled all the way. Using a sharp knife slice the roll. Continue until all fillings have been used up – should make 4 sushi rolls.
- Serve immediately with mock eel sauce and/or chipotle mayo.
- Mangoes are optional but I find it super tasty with this red lentil roll because it adds a delicious sweet flavor which balances out the salty/savory ingredients. If you’re not a fan of sweet and savory together, then maybe leave out mangoes.
- This recipe makes 4 servings with 1/2 cup of pulses in each serving.