Smokey BBQ Baked Lentils With Pomegranate-Chipotle
- 1 cup lentils, dried
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 cup pomegranate juice
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp molasses
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard
- 1 tsp sugar, brown
- 2 chipotle peppers, in adobo sauce; chopped
- 1 tbsp adobo sauce
- 3 slices bacon, preferably applewood smoked
- In a large pot, combine the lentils and 3 cups of water. Bring to a boil, then reduce and let simmer for 30 minutes or until the lentils soften.
- Meanwhile, prepare sauce: Heat olive oil and garlic in a medium skillet and cook until garlic softens. Add next 7 ingredients (through adobo) and whisk to combine. Bring to a simmer and let reduce for 10-15 minutes, or until it becomes thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Combine the lentils and sauce in a small baking dish. Arrange the bacon in a single layer over the top. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes, or until bacon has crisped and sauce has become very thick.
Lentils provide a nice change of pace from traditional navy beans in this recipe. The pomegranate-chipotle barbecue sauce is smokey and tart with a subtle but lingering heat.