Smoked Sausage and Split Pea Soup
- 1/2 pound sausage, andouille, smoked
- 1 pound split peas
- 1 cup carrot, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups water
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 cups kale, chopped into bite-size pieces
- 2 tsps liquid smoke, (optional)
- parsley, fresh
- hot sauce
- yogurt, Greek
- Heat a large dutch oven to medium high heat.
- Remove sausage from casing and cook in pot until brown.
- Add carrots, celery, and garlic and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add split peas, stock, and water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for a hour, stirring occasionally.
- Add kale and allow to wilt.
- Stir in Liquid Smoke, if using.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add more water if you prefer a thinner soup.
- Portion into bowls and top with fresh parsley, hot sauce and Greek yogurt.