Slow Cooker Chipotle Lentil Soup
- 2 cups lentils, red, rinsed; or brown
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 onion, yellow; diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 14.5 oz can tomatoes, petite diced
- 1 chipotle pepper, seeded and minced; add additional peppers for extra spice
- 7 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano, dried
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 tsp adobo sauce, from chipotles in adobo sauce
- 1/4 cup cilantro, minced
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- sour cream
- In a slow cooker, combine the onion, celery, carrots, garlic, lentils, cumin, oregano and chipotle peppers.
- Stir in the vegetable broth, diced tomatoes and adobo sauce.
- Cook on LOW until the lentils are tender, 8 to 10 hours. Transfer 3 cups of the soup to a blender and let cool for about 15 minutes. Pour the mixture back into the slow cooker. Stir in the lime juice and parsley.