Slow Cooker Broccoli Cheddar White Bean Soup
- 1 small onion, yellow, chopped
- 1 lb broccoli, crowns; chopped
- 1 15 oz can white kidney (cannellini) beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper, black; freshly ground
- 3 1/2 cups vegetable broth, low-sodium
- 1 1/2 cups spinach, fresh; loosely packed (may omit if desired)
- 6 oz cheddar cheese, sharp, white or yellow; shredded, divided
- 1/4 cup cream, half and half (may omit if desired)
- Place onion, broccoli, cannellini beans, garlic, salt, pepper, and broth in slow cooker.
- Cook on low setting for about 5-6 hours, or on high setting for about 3 hours, until broccoli is tender.
- Add spinach and continue cooking for 5 minutes.
- Transfer soup to a cblender in batches and puree until smooth. Return soup to the slow cooker. Stir in 4 ounces of the shredded cheddar and the half and half. Spoon soup into bowls, top with remaining shredded cheddar and serve.