Slow Cooker Bean Soup
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 onion, yellow; chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 14 oz cans kidney beans, red; rinsed and drained
- 1 lb. sweet potato, peeled and cut into ½-inch pieces
- 1 cup quinoa, dry
- 1 14 oz can tomatoes, petite diced
- 1 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp salt, or more to taste
- 1/2 tsp pepper, (or more to taste)
- 6 1/2 cup vegetable broth, low-sodium
- 2 cups spinach, fresh
- 1/4 cup parsley, flat leaf; minced
- hot sauce, to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Transfer the onion mixture to a 6-quart slow cooker. Add the kidney beans, sweet potato, quinoa, diced tomatoes, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Stir in the vegetable broth.
- Cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours or on HIGH for 3 to 4 hours, or until the sweet potato is tender.
- Stir in the spinach, parsley and hot sauce. Adjust seasonings to desired taste. Serve.