Shrimp and Asparagus Parsnip Risotto with Chickpea Alfredo Sauce and Split Peas
Chickpea Alfredo Sauce:
- 1 cup chickpeas, dried (2 cups cooked)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp miso paste, white
- 3 tbsps nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsps lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt, sea; or to taste
- 1 cups water, + 1/2 cup
For the Parsnip Risotto:
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- 2 pounds parsnip, peeled and spiralized
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 bunch asparagus, trimmed and chopped
- 1/2 pound shrimp, raw; peeled and deveined
- 1 + 1/4 cups chickpea, Alfredo Sauce (see recipe above)
- 1/4 tsp salt, sea; to taste
- 1/2 cup split peas, cooked (see note)
- *For a thinner sauce, add a small amount more water until sauce reaches desired consistency. The sauce will thicken up in the refrigerator when saved and will also thicken when introduced to heat.
Prepare the Chickpea Alfredo Sauce:
- Cook chickpeas according to package instructions: Rinse the chickpeas, place in a bowl, and submerge in water. Allow chickpeas to soak 6 to 8 hours (or overnight). Drain the water from the chickpeas and add them, along with 4 cups of fresh water to a saucepan. Bring to a full boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and cook 45 to 90 minutes, or until tender.
- Add cooked chickpeas, along with the remaining ingredients to a high-powered blender. Blend 90 seconds to 2 minutes, until sauce is completely smooth. Transfer to a jar and refrigerate until ready to use. Note: you will end up with about 2 cups of chickpea Alfredo sauce. You only need 1-¼ cups of the sauce for this risotto – save remaining sauce for future recipes for up to 1 week in a sealed container.
Prepare the Parsnip Risotto
- Cook 1 cup of dry split peas according to package instructions, and reserve ½ cup of the cooked split peas for this recipe. Instructions: Rinse 1 cup of dry split peas and place in a saucepan along with 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover with a lid and simmer 25 to 35 minutes, or until tender. Drain and reserve ½ cup of the split peas for the risotto. Use remaining split peas for other recipes.
- Peel the parsnips and spiralize them into noodles. Place parsnip noodles in a food processor and pulse until small rice-sized pieces form. Alternatively, place parsnip noodles on a cutting board and chop into rice.
- Heat the olive oil over medium and add the chopped asparagus. Cook 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the parsnip “rice,” garlic, and shrimp. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until shrimp is cooked through and parsnip rice has softened.
- Add 1-¼ cups of the chickpea Alfredo sauce and stir to combine. Cook another 3 minutes, until risotto reaches desired texture.
- Taste risotto for flavor and add sea salt as desired. Add the cooked split peas and stir well. Serve with fresh slices of lemon for drizzling.