Savory Muffins with Sweet Corn and Yellow Split Peas
- 1/2 cup split peas, yellow, soaked overnight
- 1 cup flour, gluten-free for baking
- 1/2 cup millet flour
- 1/2 cup rolled oats, gluten-free
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ginger, dried
- 1/2 tsp cumin, ground
- 1/2 tsp coriander, ground
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt, sea
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 1 medium zucchini, grated (1 zucchini is about 1/2 cup)
- 1 ear corn, kernels sliced from stalk (1 ear is about 1/2 cup)
- 2 tbsp cilantro, fresh; chopped
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted and cooled slightly
- Do ahead: the night before, soak the split peas in a bowl of water. When ready to use, drain.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the baking flour, millet, rolled oats, turmeric, ginger, cumin, coriander, chili powder, baking powder, baking soda, and sea salt. Set aside.
- Pulse the drained split peas with the almond milk until a coarse paste forms. Transfer to a mixing bowl, and combine with the eggs, zucchini, corn kernels, cilantro, green onions, and coconut oil.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the wet batter.
- Grease a muffin tin with some coconut oil. Divide the batter equally among the muffin cups. Bake at 350 degrees until the muffins are cooked through, about 22-28 minutes. Set aside to cool for at least 15-20 minutes.
- They taste delicious with ghee!