Rosemary Chickpea Soup
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsps garlic, minced
- 2 leeks, (white and green parts), washed and thinly sliced
- 1 tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 2 tbsps tomato sauce
- 1 tbsps rosemary, fresh, or 1 tsp dried
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed, or 2 cups boiled
- 2 tbsps basil, fresh; minced fresh (or 1 tbsp dried
- 2 tbsps parsley, fresh; minced
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1/3 lb. pasta, orzo or other small pasta (a scant 2/3 cup)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- olive oil, to garnish (optional)
- Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat in a large saucepan or soup pot. Add the garlic and leeks; sauté until garlic is golden brown. Reduce heat and simmer.
- Add the tomato, tomato sauce and rosemary. Simmer for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Stir in the chickpeas, basil, parsley and broth. Bring to a boil. Add orzo and cook, uncovered, 6 to 7 minutes, or until the pasta has reached the desired tenderness.
- Remove the soup from the heat. Season to taste and serve hot or at room temperature. Drizzle each serving with olive oil, if desired.
A deliciously fragrant soup that is quick and easy enough for weeknight cooking.