Roasted Red Bells-Split Pea Cream Soup
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1/2 bell pepper, red; chopped
- 1 small onion, sweet; chopped
- 1 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp paprika, smoked
- 1 tsp salt, kosher
- 1/2 tsp pepper, black
- 14.5 ounces roasted red peppers
- 1 1/2 cups split peas, yellow
- 4 1/2 cups water
- 1/3 cup cream, heavy
- dash pesto, store bought (for topping)
- 4 small pieces butter
- In a 4-quart stockpot or Dutch oven, heat avocado oil over medium low heat. Sauté onion, tomato, and red pepper. Cook until onion is translucent, about 2 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for another minute or so.
- Season sofritto mixture with the paprika, salt and pepper, and stir to combine.
- Add the roasted peppers and split peas and combine.
- Incorporate the water and increase heat so it boils. Lower the heat and cover. Simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and allow soup to cool off.
- Once the soup is cool, place the mixture in a blender ensuring not to over fill so it doesn't spill out. You may have to do it in a couple of batches. Puree for about a minute.
- Bring mixture back to the pot and add the cream.
- Reheat and taste for seasoning.
- Portion in 6 soup bowls and top each with a pat of butter and a squirt of pesto.