Roasted Golden Beet, Citrus, Lentil Salad
- 1/2 cup lentils, French, cooked
- 3 medium beets, golden
- 2 orange, navel; peeled and segmented
- 2 oranges, mandarin; peeled and segmented
- 1/3 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1/4 cup pistachios, shelled
- 4 cups mixed greens, of choice
- 1/3 cup orange juice, fresh squeezed
- 2 tsp olive oil, extra virgin
- 2 tsp honey, or agave nectar for vegan
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar, or white balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Whisk together all of the ingredients for the vinaigrette in a jar or small bowl and set aside.
- Cook the lentils according to package instructions. (I cooked mine in vegetable broth for more flavor)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a rimmed baking sheet with foil.
- Peel the beets with a vegetable peeler and cut them into wedges.
- Place the beets on the prepared baking sheet, drizzle them with olive oil, salt and pepper and toss to coat.
- Spread the beets into a single layer then roast them for approximately 25-30 minutes minutes or until tender, shaking the tray and tossing them around a couple of time to ensure even cooking.
- Remove from the oven and cool while you assemble the salad.
- In a large bowl add the mixed greens.
- Top with the beets, oranges, lentils, pomegranate seeds and pistachios.
- Serve the orange vinaigrette on the side or dress the salad right before serving to ensure all the ingredients stay crisp.