Roasted Chickpea Snack Mix
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas, low-sodium; rinsed and drained
- 1/2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 tbsp maple syrup, pure
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon, ground
- 1/2 tsp salt, kosher
- 1/8 tsp paprika, smoked (optional)
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds, raw
- 1/4 cup almonds, raw, or pecan halves
- 1/3 cup dried cherries
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips, dark (use dairy free to make vegan)
- Place a rack in the center of your oven and preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside. Lay the chickpeas on a double layer of paper towels and dry them as much as you can, changing out the towels as needed. Remove any skins that come loose (no need to get them all). Spread the chickpeas in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes. (Do not be tempted to add anything to the chickpeas. Starting them out in the oven plain helps them become extra crispy!).
- Remove the chickpeas from the oven and drizzle with the coconut oil and maple syrup. Sprinkle with the cinnamon, salt, and smoked paprika. Toss to evenly coat (the pan will be hot—be careful!—let cool a few minutes as needed), then return the chickpeas to the oven for an additional 10 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven once more and give it a little shake to rotate the chickpeas. Add the pepitas and almonds to the pan in a single layer. Continue baking until the nuts are toasty and the chickpeas are brown and crisp, about 8 to 10 additional minutes. Place the pan on a wire rack and let cool completely.
- Once the chickpeas and nuts are cool, add them to a serving bowl. Stir in the dried cherries and dark chocolate chips. Divide into desired portions and store for later or munch immediately!