Red Lentil Mushroom Ragu
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, dices
- 3 carrot, diced
- 12 oz mushrooms, bella; roughly chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups lentils, red, dried; picked over and rinsed
- 1 28 oz can tomatoes, crushed
- 1 15 oz can tomatoes, diced
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp basil
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 12 oz pasta, rotini (gluten free if desired)
- 1/2 cup reserved starchy pasta water
- parmesan cheese, optional
- Cook the onions, carrots, and celery in oil over medium heat in a large skillet for 6-8 minutes or until translucent, stirring occasionally. Add in the mushrooms and garlic and cook another 5 minutes.
- Stir in the lentils, crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, broth, tomato paste, and seasonings. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes until lentils are soft.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to directions on box until al dente. Reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta water before draining.
- Add the pasta water to the ragu sauce and then mix the pasta and ragu sauce together. Serve topped with parsley and parmesan.