Quick Chickpea Biryani
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, rough chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger, chopped
- 1 1/2 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp coriander
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon, (or one cinnamon stick)
- 1/2 tsp cardamom, (or 3 crushed cardamom pods)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups rice, basmati
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 can chickpeas, drained, rinsed
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup cashews
Cilantro Coconut Yogurt Sauce:
- 1 cup yogurt, (full fat)
- 1/4 cup coconut, shredded
- 1 jalapeno pepper, (add more if desired)
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1 inch ginger, sliced thin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- In a medium or large Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and sauté, stirring often, until tender and golden, 5 minutes. Turn heat to medium, add garlic and ginger, and cook 2 minutes.
- Add spices and bay leaf, and stir one minute, toasting the spices. Add stock, rice, and salt. Give a stir. Top with chickpeas, raisins, and cashews. Bring to a simmer over high heat, then lower heat to low. Cover the pot with a thin dish towel, place the lid over the top of the towel, and bring the four corners of the towel up and over the lid. This will tighten the seal and keep the steam in, allowing the rice to cook more quickly and evenly.
- Simmer on low 18–20 minutes or until the rice has soaked up the liquid.
- Blend all ingredients together in a blender or food processor.
- Uncover the Quick Chickpea Biryani and fluff up with a fork. Serve with cilantro sprigs and a spoonful or two of Cilantro Yogurt Sauce.