Pulled Pork and Beans Sandwich with Zippy Pineapple Slaw
A Classic but healthier Pulled Pork Sandwich with 1/3 less animal protein! Same classic taste complimented by Pineapple Slaw
- 2 lb pork, shoulder or butt (sliced into 1 inch slabs)
- 1 onion, medium sized (sliced thinly)
- 3 garlic, cloved (crushed)
- 10 oz cider vinegar
- 5 oz barbecue sauce
- 4 oz brown sugar
- 1 tbsp salt, Kosher
- 1 tsp paprika, Spanish, smoked
- 1 tsp cumin, ground
- 2 tbsp hot sauce
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 can kidney beans, canned (rinsed and drained)
- 6 buns, brioche or sweet Hawaiian (Hamburger size)
For the Slaw:
- 4 oz cabbage, red (very finely shredded)
- 4 oz cabbage, green (very finely shredded)
- ½ jalepeno, (seeds removed and very thinly shredded)
- 8 oz pineapple, fresh (cut into matchstick size pieces)
- 1 carrot, (peeled and then stripped lengthwise using the peeler)
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 bunch cilantro, (leaves only)
For The Pulled Pork:
- Preheat the oven to 325°F
- Place the pork in a saucepan that hold the slices in a layer no more than an inch deep.
- Add all ingredients except the beans and the buns to the pot, and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cover with aluminum foil and a tight-fitting lid. Place in the oven and cook slowly for 2 hours.
- Remove the meat from the sauce. When cool enough to handle,shred the meat and add back to the sauce with the kidney beans. Reheat to serve or cool and refrigerate until ready to use.
- To assemble the sandwiches: lightly toast the buns and divide the filling equally amongst them. Serve immediately with a side of Zippy Pineapple Slaw.
For The Slaw:
- To get the cabbage very finely sliced, a mandolin is the preferred piece of equipment. But watch your fingers!
- To prepare the carrot, using a vegetable peeler–peel length wise strips off the carrot.
- Mix the cabbage, jalepeno, pineapple and carrot in a bowl and toss with the lime juice, canola oil, salt and sugar. Adjust the seasoning if necessary.
- Toss in the cilantro leaves and serve or refrigerate for later use.