Potaje de Garbanzo
- 1/2 lb chickpeas, dried
- 1/3 cup navy beans, dried
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 onion, yellow; diced
- 1/2 bell pepper, yellow or orange; diced
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 oz longanisa, (Filipino Sweet Sausage)
- 3/4 cup tomato puree, choice of noodles
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika, smoked
- 1/4 tsp pepper, black
- 4 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 lb potatoes, fingerling or baby
- 1 tsp salt
- To start, place your chickpeas and navy beans in a large stock pot and cover with water. Let them soak overnight about 9-10 hours then drain and set aside. Skip this step if using canned or cooked chickpeas or beans.
- In a large dutch oven heat up 3 tbsp of oil on medium low heat and saute your onions and bell peppers about 10-12 minutes until your onions are translucent. Add in the garlic, cilantro, and bay leaf and cook for one minute. Break the longaniza up into smaller chunks and cook for 5-6 minutes until it starts to brown. Mix in the white wine, and tomato puree and bring to a simmer.
- Once your sofrito reaches a simmer, mix in the salt, cumin, and black pepper. Add in your garbanzo beans, navy beans, potatoes and add the cups of water. Let your soup simmer for about an hour and then add the remaining 1 tsp of salt, and check for salt at this time.
- Cook your soup for another 30-45 minutes until the garbanzo beans and the baby potatoes are tender. Serve with your favorite toppings.