Serving Suggestions: Toss over your favorite salad, use in stews, braised meats and chicken dishes, sautee with toasted garlic and chard or other greens as a filling side dish.
- 1 quart chickpeas, cooked; or 2 15 oz cans
- 5 cloves garlic
- 3 jalapeno pepper, sliced
- 3 strips lemon peel
- 2 tsp salt, kosher
- 1 tsp cumin, toasted and fresh ground or left whole
- 1 cup white wine vinegar, or distilled vinegar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- pinch turmeric
- Soak 2 cups chickpeas in 5 cups of water over night
- Drain chickpeas then add to medium sauce pan with 5 cups of fresh water, bay leaf & 3 cloves garlic. Or you can use 2 can of already prepared chickpeas to skip this step)
- Bring brine of vinegar, turmeric, cumin, garlic and lemon peel to a quick simmer to melt sugar
- While brine is coming to a quick simmer, add cooked chickpeas to a jar of your choice and slide jalapeno slices down against wall of jar for a nice visual.
- Once sugar is dissolved, pour over the chickpeas in jar to cover. If necessary, top off with a touch of vinegar and water to cover.
- Close jar with a lid and allow to cool on the counter for about an hour before moving to the refrigerator, leaving the chickpeas for at least 24 hours before serving. Store in the refrigerator and eat within two weeks